Thanks to the heart of a Hagerstown woman, Christmas will be very special to some children who have never know it
Written by on October 15, 2020
HAGERSTOWN, Md. (WDVM) — Some children in far corners of the world have never experienced the special meaning of Christmas.
But thanks to a Hagerstown woman with a heart of gold, the holiday this year will brighten the spirits of kids in Third World countries who will get dolls in a shoebox with trinkets and colorful sticker ornaments. Phyllis Shoemaker volunteers for the Shoebox Supply Ministry, which ships her creations overseas.
“A lot of these children have never, ever had a Christmas gift,” says Shoemaker. “This will be the first Christmas box. They are so excited just to find out that somebody loves them, somebody cares enough to give them a gift.”
This weekend Phyllis Shoemaker’s dolls will be loaded onto cargo ships at the port of Baltimore to be shipped off to their destinations around the world.
- 22 indicted for drug trafficking in eastern panhandle of West Virginia
- Penn State set to host a number of future NCAA championship events
- Thanks to the heart of a Hagerstown woman, Christmas will be very special to some children who have never know it
- Wet weather ends the week
- Hagerstown Regional Airport holding emergency disaster drill this weekend